Peabody Veterans Memorial High School Hosts Inaugural Women in STEM Career DayOctober 25, 2023
Superintendent Josh Vadala and Principal Brooke Randall are pleased to announce that Peabody Veterans Memorial High School recently hosted its first Women in STEM Career Day.
On Wednesday, Oct. 18, 11 Peabody Veterans Memorial High School alumnae, who are now working in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields, returned to PVMHS to inspire the next generation of women in STEM. Throughout the day, over 60 female students attended two breakout sessions.
Opening remarks were made by keynote speaker Rebecca Calder. Calder is a 2009 graduate and currently serves as a Podiatrist for Beverly Podiatry.
“I loved my journey and am looking forward to sharing it with you in our break-off sessions,” said Calder. “I will say for now that it all started here at PVMHS. The foundation I got in math and science catapulted me above my peers in college. I attribute this all to the mathematics department at PVMHS.”
Following Cadler’s presentation, students in grades 9-12 had the opportunity to engage in “table talks” with alumnae. Alumnae spoke about their journey from PVMHS to where they are now and their experiences as women in the STEM field. During the table talks, students were encouraged to ask questions and engage in conversation.
“Our first-ever Women in STEM Career Day was a great success,” said Principal Randall. “I want to thank each of our alumnae who shared their inspiring journeys with our STEM students. We look forward to continuing this event for years to come.”
- PVMHS Biology Teacher Jessie Byrne
- Celldex Therapeutics Bioanalytical Scientist Anna Church
- Haley & Aldrich Geotechnical Engineer Mary Votto
- Autonodyne LLC Software Engineer & Manager Demi Karavousianis
- MCPHS Candidate for PharmD Aubrey Irvine
- Lahey-Peabody Nursing Assistant Vanessa Martarano
- Brigham and Women Senior Cytogenetic Technologist II Lisa Donovan
- Beverly Podiatry Podiatrist Rebecca Calder
- Cell Signaling Technology Inc. Research and Development Supervisor Kayley LeFrancois
- Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab Forensic Scientist Rachael Margossian
- Levy Goldman Dentistry Dentist Dr. Naomi Levy
Peabody Veterans Memorial High School recently hosted its first Women in STEM
Alumnae spoke about their journey from PVMHS to where they are now and their experiences as women in the STEM field.
Students in grades 9-12 had the opportunity to engage in “table talks” with alumnae.