McCarthy School Report CardMarch 5, 2019
Dear McCarthy School Families:
Every year, each public school and school district in Massachusetts receives a report card. Just as your child’s report card shows how they are doing in different subjects, the school’s report card is designed to show families how our school is doing in different areas. A link to our school’s report card is available by clicking here.
The report card includes multiple measures of a school’s performance – more than just MCAS scores. It represents a new way of looking at school performance, by providing information on student achievement, teacher qualifications, student learning opportunities, and more.
Report cards are designed to be useful tools for everyone connected to our school. Families can use the information to have meaningful conversations with us about what the school is doing well and where there is room for improvement. Community and education leaders can use the information to better understand how to support students and our school.
You will notice on our report card that we are Partially Meeting Targets. We do not require assistance or intervention. To improve student performance in our school, we are:
- Analyzing unit assessment data and re-teaching concepts and skills to those students who need them.
- Students are learning to use specific graphic organizers to fully answer open response questions using details from the text.
- Small group instruction is held on explicit skills needed to solve multi-step word problems in math.
- Calendar Math is taught daily to reinforce and improve student’s number sense and geometry skills.
We encourage you to become involved in helping us improve our school. We see parents as critical partners in the success of our students and school, and we are grateful for your continued support.
Finally, if your child attends a school that receives federal Title I funds, you also have the right to request the following information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers:
- Whether your child’s teacher is licensed in the grade levels and subject areas they teach,
- Whether your child’s teacher is teaching under an emergency license or waiver,
- The college degree and major of your child’s teacher, and
- Whether your child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
If you have questions about our school’s report card, would like to become involved in school improvement activities, or would like to request information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teacher, please contact me at 978.536.5625. To see our district’s report card or to search for other schools’ report cards, visit reportcards.doe.mass.edu.
Raymond H. Smoyer
Categorized in: McCarthy Elementary